Monday 26 December 2011

I cant believe that it all happened almost two weeks ago

You all know that I was expecting to have the baby on the 22nd December...

Well the baby thought differently and my waters broke on the morning of 16th December.

I woke up at 3.30 am to go to the toilet and lets just say that it didnt feel like a wee ;o)  So I woke James up telling him that I thought that my waters had broken.  He said ok lets see what happens.

So I told James that yes my waters had broken and I called Broomfield Hospital to let them know and they said to come straight in...

...so I had a shower and then we made our way to the hospital.

I went to the maternity emergency entrance (it has elevators taking you as close as you can be to the labour ward), and buzzed them to tell them that I had arrived...

...they were even waiting for me and showed me into a side room as soon as I had arrived.  They did a check that my waters had broken and yes they had...

I was then set up with a fetal monitor just to make sure that she wasnt in any distress etc.
I then had loads of different people come in and were introducing themselves
and were explaining exactly what was going to happen.

At around 9am I was taken into the operating theatre and James put on his scrubs and was told to wait outside, while they got me prepared.

James was eventually told to come in and he asked me if I was ok and I said that I was...

...it was then go time ;o)

I didnt actually feel what they were doing but then all of a sudden I heard a crying sound and James said "she has just been born"...

...James then went over with the midwife where they checked her over and cleaned her.

Evie was born at 9.42 am and weighed 5 pounds ;o).

They then bought Evie over so I could see her before James took her out to the recovery room while I was being stitched up.

I got discharged the next day so I was well pleased that I only had to spend one night in hospital.

Because Evie was so small one of the stipulations of being allowed home was that we fed her every three hours and that the midwife came to visit every day.  I was more than happy with the midwife coming every day as it meant that I could ask her anything that I had a query with.

fast forward to 22nd December (the day I was supposed to have the c-section - ironic or what?)

I woke up that morning and turned over in bed and noticed what I can only describe as "gushing" I ran into the bathroom and blood was running down my legs.  I yelled to James and he came running up the stairs to help me.

I laid on the bed so he could see where the blood was coming from, it was from my wound!

The blood had stopped again while I was lying down so James went and made me a cup of tea.  I sat up to drink my tea and the bleeding started again...

...James dialled 999 and was told that it wasnt really serious so a triage nurse would call back to tell us (or rather him) how to stop the bleeding.

About five minutes later James looks out of the window and says that there is an ambulance outside!

So he lets the paramedics in and they come up to assess how bad I am, and I get dressed so they can take me to A&E, James stayed at home with Evie until his parents could get here to look after her.

Off I went in the ambulance (luckily the lights and sirens werent going), when we got tp Broomfield they even kept me on the trolley rather than putting me into a wheelchair...

...I got taken into a side room and I explained about the c-section and they said that they had paged the gynecologist but he was in surgery...

...the person never did come down to see me and in the end I was seen by a consultant who is A&E based and he said that I had blood pooled under the stitches and that was what was oozing out.

He squeezed the blood out and put some dressing on (which was taped on sanitary towels)..

I was well pleased that I didnt have to stay in hospital again as with it being so close to Christmas then there was (in my mind anyway) a distinct possibility that I may have been kept in.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So how was the eppidural? My first c-section leaked out blood and stuff. The second one didn't. Take it easy so you can heal. Congratulations on the baby. She is beautiful.

chocolat lover said...

thanks Connie...

...the epidural was ok and a lot better than I thought it would be...

...its good to know that it happens to other people too...

Eileen H said...

I wondered how you were with no blog updates and discovered on Flickr your photos of Evie.
Congratulations to you both she is beautiful:) Only 5lbs too!
Glad you have found time to write on your blog:-)
My waters broke during the night and I thought I'd wet the bed. At least you made it to the loo:-)
So happy for you, what a lovely Christmas present:)
Try to rest whenever you can!

Joe Jarvis said...

Congratulations!