Thursday 22 October 2015

parent tour #2 - school #1 was better

So me & Evie went on the parent tour on Tuesday...

I had been talking to Evie about it on Monday and was telling her that we would be having a look to see what she thinks of the school...

..just before we went to leave I took her to the toilet and she started whining saying that she didnt want to look at the school and she didnt want to have to think either!

So I gave her a cuddle and told her that I would be there with her and that I would do all of the thinking and she was ok-ish with it.

We got upto the school and there was a woman with a young baby walking around the school reception area and I was asked to sign in and then another couple turned up too.

There were four parents in all.

The head teacher then arrived (just as a little boy was having a bit of a meltdown (the head teacher was really nice to him and took him into a side room) thinking about it Im not too sure if he was still waiting in the room while we were having our tour or not!

She then came back and shook all of our hands.

We started b looking at the reception classroom...

...yes it was a single classroom for 2 classes of children!

She assured us that it didnt disrupt their learning (but I wasnt happy with that aspect of the school).

The year 1 classroom was the same again...

And the class representatives even came and introduced themselves to us - with the second class ones shaking our hands - I bet the first teacher thought to herself I should have got my ones to do that too.

Year 2 did have separate classrooms so that was good.

We were  then shown the hall where they have lunch and the library etc.

and we were then asked if we had any questions...

One parent (the couple) asked if they did swimming lessons - yes they do in the summer but only from year 2 (as the kids younger than that cant touch the bottom of the pool ;o)).

the other parent (with a young baby) asked if they would be having an extra class for 2016 (eg a larger intake of children) and she said that she wouldnt know until the council releases their figures.

\I asked about the toilets as Evie even has trouble at the moment sitting on the children sized toilets and she said that she didnt think that she would have a problem.

Another parent (I think for the couple again) asked what the kids had to be able to do and she said "basic social skills" so I am trying to get Evie school ready for those ;o)

I am getting her to take herself to the toilet (when she is in a co-operative mood) and to pull off the toilet paper she needs - I am still trying to get her to wipe her own bottom, and to cut up her own food (but not at the same time ;o)).

Simply because of the shared classrooms this school has gone down on the list.

And at 9 am - I will be booking parent tour #5 which is being held in November.

2 comments:

Eileen H said...

Sounds like that was a very worthwhile tour. I'm surprised more parents weren't there.

chocolat lover said...

there are several parent tours in the days, and I think that you can also have a one on one parent tour if required too.